Friday, October 5, 2007

Russians in Latvia

Just a detail about my surroundings: I feel like I am back in elementary school. A herd of little loud stomping boys just invaded the internet cafe, and I have forgotten how rude and loud they are. Why are boys so rude? Maybe just these boys. Although actually - this definitely risks being offensive! - I have noticed that Latvians tend not to apologize. I have trouble myself using the word "atvojnojut" (excuse me) and it is because I do not ever hear it - I almost don't believe that that's how one apologizes. I was talking to a Latvian-American about Russians in Latvia, and she said that she noticed that whenever anyone excuses themselves on the street, it is always in Russian. Also she said - though I have no idea if this is a general Latvian perspective, or her own impression - that Russians are very passionate and emotional, whereas Latvians are much more reserved and maybe even apathetic. But then other young Latvians I've talked to have said that there's pretty much no difference between Russians and Latvians (aside from the language, religion, and some Latvian traditions).

So a little bit about Russians in Latvia. In general, it doesn't seem that Latvians hold bad feelings towards Russians. Latvians have been very polite to me when I speak Russian, and no one has refused to speak Russian to me. It does seem, though, that socially most people stay within their ethnic group, at least among the older generation. Politically, Russians living in Latvia were not automatically given Latvian citizenship after the collapse of the Soviet Union. There was a period when they could automatically take on Russian citizenship, but now that's not the case, and Russians in Latvia (who do not already have a citizenship) need to apply for citizenship, whether it's Russian or Latvian. As far as I understand, there are people who therefore don't have any citizenship, but they do have Latvian residence and travel documents. From Russians I have heard that people don't want to apply for Latvian citizenship because they are somewhat offended/insulted that it requires a language test (there are several categories of Latvian language proficiency and one has to have the first or second, I think, to become a citizen - which is just a little bit of Latvian) and history test (which apparently requires recounting a very subjective view of history, which even, I have heard from one person, denies the existence of the Holocaust - !!!). In other Baltic countries, at least in Estonia, all residents were automatically granted Estonian citizenship. On the other hand, in Estonia the Russian population is much smaller than in Latvia. But Estonians are much more strict in terms of language - they won't speak Russian (I have heard), whereas almost everyone in Riga, even young people, speak at least some Russian. Although in Riga all the signs are in Latvian. But that's about it. It seems to me that people live pretty smoothly together, and in Riga there is a big Russian-Latvian mix without particular friction. Any questions?

5 comments:

Rita said...

Interesting thoughts, V. Especially the comments about "stateless citizens". Kind of reminds me of that movie, "The Terminal"--which was, in fact, based on a real-life Iranian guy who was going to England, stripped of Iranian citizenship, and got stuck at Charles de Gaulle because nobody would take him. The dude lived in the airport for around 11 years or more, something totally grotesque, and when he was finally able to get out he didn't want to leave. There is an entry about him on Wikipedia.

This actually has absolutely nothing to do with Russians in Latvia. I just think that the concept of being "stateless", a "world vagabond", so to speak, is really interesting.

W said...

Hi there,

Just making a brief comment about the history exam. Yes, according to a friend who passed it some time ago, the questions are subjective enough for it to be considered biased and that it could be considered disagreeable for some.

That said, I'm confident that claiming that there are pro-Holocaust denial questions there is a vast vast exaggeration.

Anonymous said...

Верушка, привет!

Очень интересно, все, что ты пишешь...

Скажи, а указатели в Риге, действительно, только на латвийском? То есть, транслитерации на английском нет???

Не так давно мы с Антоном были на Украине, и меня очень удивило, что в киевском метро все - исключительно на украинском. Чуть не запутались и не потерялись =) В связи с этим крайне интересно: насколько общей данная тенденция является для бывших стран Союза...

P.S. В Минске (Белоруссия), напротив, русский - повсеместно.

Настя Голотик

Vera said...

Dear W,
I keep meaning to say thank you for your comment. I would be very much interested in more of your thoughts, as I am only beginning to develop an understanding of Latvian-Russian relations and Latvian politics in general, and I would like to hear as many perspectives as possible.
So hope to hear from you again.
Best,
Vera

Vera said...

Привет, Настенька! очень рада, что ты мою писанину читаешь : ).
По поводу указателей, в Риге действительно все по-латышски. На сколько я понимаю, официально даже нелегально в магазинах, на пример, писать по-русски или говорить по-русски - хотя всегда говорят, по моему опоту. Но может быть я ошибаюсь про нелегальность - может это было только после независимости, а потом отменили. На английском я надписей и указателей особенно не видела, но, с другой сторону, транслитерации-то не нужно, так как латышский пишется латинскими быквыми.