This weekend I spent at a summerhouse in Saulkrasti. Saulkrasti is north of Riga, near the sea, though there was so much work (I was brought along as a manual laborer, young and strong) that I did not end up visiting it this time. The house is on a dirt path in a typical "dachnyj poselok" (summer village), and it is near lots and lots of forest and a fast-flowing brook which is all the more rapid and bubbly in the spring, when the ice melts. When one walks down the muddy grassy path, on the left is a metal fence with a stuck metal door, which functions like a doorbell because it is so loud to open and close. Then one walks around to the back of the house, to a wide veranda covered in grape vines and luscious dark blue grapes. Inside it is cozy and homey and Russian, and there is a metal furnace with a fire over which we boiled freshly-pressed apple juice (from the many, many apples carpeting the whole yard) to can it for the winter and take down into the cellar along with pickled cucumbers and mushrooms and canned berries and grapes. So the air was fresh and cold, and I peed in an outhouse, and we picked mushrooms among birch fields and evergreen forests, and it was fantastic. Yulia Leonidovna and Vera Sergeevna are two really amazing women, and I am very thrilled that I will be living with Y.L.
Otherwise on Wednesday my mom is coming and I will disappear and then reappear in about ten days. All the best!
Monday, October 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I should really just visit you too :)
V.B., if I visit you, will you teach me Latvian?
Um. I want to be where you are.
Ja, Rita, runayam latviski ja tu brauc Latvija! (Though it will be very broken Latvian.)
Post a Comment